JOY

The apostle Paul writes in Philippians 1:3-4 "I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always offering prayer with joy in my every prayer for you all."

       So many times, when Paul wrote, he was responding to problems in churches.  The Corinthians had multiple problems and so did the Galatian church.  But, here in the epistle of Philippians Paul doesn't write due to a problem.  Rather, this is a church close to his heart and he wants to share news with them.  They are close to him and that is evident throughout this epistle.   He uses the word "joy" 19 times in just a few chapters.
       This word "joy" characterizes the feeling that Paul has when he thinks of this church.  It is a joy to pray for them.  Paul is so often characterized as harsh or demanding that we may lose sight of the fact that the bonds between him and the church are bonds of love and that joy is a primary element between them all. 
       This word "joy" is closely connected to the word "grace" and "peace" that Paul mentions in this epistle in verse 2.  He always starts with grace.  Because without the grace of God then peace and joy would not be possible.  But, because of that grace we have peace.  Just as it says in Romans 5:1 "therefore having been justified by faith we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ."   This is a real peace that exists because of the grace that was given to us in Christ.  Because that is a free gift offered to us then we can have joy.
        I imagine the jailer that Paul met in Philippi reading these words and telling the others, "Yes, I saw Paul and Silas put in stocks in the prison.  I still remember where his flesh had been torn away from the beating that he took.  I thought he would scream in pain.  I thought he would curse me.  But, an odd thing happened that night.  Around midnight, I heard those two singing praises to God.  Then there was this huge earthquake.  I thought they had run for it, but instead they were still there.  They told me about salvation and now I have peace with God." Acts 16-24-31.
        The jailer saw first hand that the joy of God is a fruit of the Spirit of God.  It isn't something that we can manufacture on our own.  It isn't something that is simply the result of circumstances around us.  Paul and Silas weren't happy about being in the stocks.  They were sore and broken and probably extremely uncomfortable.  But, the joy of God isn't the result of circumstances.  It is rather the result of the Spirit of God working in your spirit Galatians 5:22.  It is when the Spirit of God leads to your remembrance all that Christ has done and that he loves you and died for you and overcame the grave for you.  Again, it is not the result of circumstances.
         Later, in this epistle, Paul will tell the Philippians to "rejoice in the Lord".  I see the key words there are "in the Lord".  When nothing is going right in my day, I can remember that no matter how bad things get in this life that God is preparing for me more glory and joy and riches that I cannot even imagine.  For the believer, things simply get better once you pass from this life to the next.  We have a lot to look forward to know that our Lord and Savior could return at any time, but if he does not, then we will see him when we die and all those who went before us.  All of these trials that we go through and pains.  All of the discomforts and trials and trauma of this life is temporary.   But, the riches of the kingdom of God is eternal.  This is where our focus should be.  This is what should give us joy.

Verses about joy
John 15:11 These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete."
John 17:13 "But now I come to thee, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have My joy made full in themselves."
James 1:2 "Consider it all you, my brethren, when you encounter various trials."
1 John 1:4  "And these things we write, so that our joy may be made complete."
Philippians 2:2 "make my joy complete by being of the same mind, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose."
Romans 14:17 "For the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit."


Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2