The good shepherd

      Jesus gives us a number of what are called "I am" statements in the gospel of John.  Jesus says in John 11:25 "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me shall live even if he dies."  In John 14:6 he says, "I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me."  John 15:1 says, "I am the true vine; and My Father is the vinedresser."  John 6:51 says, "I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he shall live forever; and the bread also which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh."  And then also the one I read in my devotions today, "I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep." John 10:11
       I thought about what that means that Jesus is the shepherd.  Shepherd are meant to protect and provide for the sheep.  They guide the sheep to known places of water and grass.  They protect the sheep from wolves and bears and other bigger predators.  Sheep need constant redirection because they can become lost.  All of these things Jesus is for the believer.  I need that firm hand to guide me. to correct me, to guide me, otherwise I will end up getting lost.  The Bible clearly says that if we rely on the flesh that we will not know the way.  That the way is actually Jesus himself and if anything else is guiding you whether it be your own sense of right and wrong or your own spirit then it will mislead you.
     As sheep, I may be prone to looking at the grass on the other hillside and think that looks better.  Or somehow think that I am missing out on something because I am not chasing after the world and its riches like other people. We live in what the Bible calls the "end times" and it is clear from what the Bible says that this time will be time when many will fall away from the faith and be misled.  Look in 1 Timothy 4:1-2
     "But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons, by means of the hypocrisy of liars seared their own conscience as with a branding iron." 
    This is where we are today in many churches.  The pastors and churches of today in many cases are so worried about pleasing people and keeping the giving and attendance up that they pander to the crowds and tell them what they want to hear, instead of telling them what they need to hear.  Give them pop psychology and feel good messages instead of the truth, which may at times sting a little, but is meant to correct and guide the sheep back to flock.  We all need some correction at times.
     I like how it says in John 10:4-5 "When he puts forth all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him because they know his voice. And a stronger they simply will not follow, but will flee from him, because they do not know the voice of strangers,"   The Lord calls out his sheep by name vs3 knowing all of their unique characteristics and qualities and they know him.  I like especially how it says that he calls us by name.  The idea there being that by knowing our name he knows us intimately.  He knows where we are and he knows who we are.  He doesn't just call out a single command and say "let's go", but he singularly calls each one of us by name. 
      I need to remember to keep my eyes on the shepherd and not to wander off on some wild trail of my own.  I need to remember he knows best.  Jesus says in this same passage that "I came that they might have life, and might have it abundantly." John 10:10.  Isn't that great.  As a believer, the true abundant life is the life where he is leading and I am following.  By following, I am missing out on nothing, but finding the real road to abundant life.

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

The wise men Matthew 2

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes