Discerning God's Will

 I know that at different times in my life, I have found myself at a crossroads.  Whether it is to take one job or another or to go to one school or another.  During times like that, I have tried to determine what God's will is.  Or if God had a will between the individual choices I needed to make.  During those times, I have sought through Bible study and prayer to understand God's voice amidst many other voices.

 I've come to the point where I am honestly not sure anymore if God has specific choice for each decision that we make.  But, I do know that it seems clear that when God's people are walking closely to the Lord that God is more than able to let his voice be known.  It seems to me that the job of the believer is not so much to discern God's voice from someone else's, for God may use someone else to convey His will. But, rather it is to draw closely to the Lord and to make sure our hearts are right with Him.

 One of my good friends in college and now pastor down in Clear Lake, Brett Dutton would often quote the verses in Psalms that said that if we delight in the Lord, He will make our paths straight.  I think these verses talk as much about priority than anything else.  If we are delighting in God, then we would also be delighting in the things that please God.  So, if I have a choice then what I believe will please God will be a priority.  My love for God and desire to please Him will be a motivator in my choices.  My desire to rid my life of those things that don't please Him will also be strong.  I will not want things to come between us.

In thinking about God's will for your life
Are you trying to please God with the choices you make?
Do you seek like the prophet Daniel to set aside regular times to repent of sin and seek God's face?

"Delight yourself in the Lord; And He will give you the desires of your heart.  Commit your way to the Lord. Trust also in Hm, and He will do it.  And He will bring forth your righteousnessness as the light. And your judgment as the noonday." Ps 37:4-6

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2