Blessed are the poor in spirit

The sermon on the mount in Matthew 5 starts with a series of statements from Jesus.  These statements seem to be almost the polar opposite of what we would expect to hear from Jesus or any religious teacher.  They are the opposite of what we often hear in the secular world.  Jesus says that among those who are blessed are those who are poor in spirit, those who mourn, the gentle, the merciful, those who hunger and thirst for righteousness.  The disciples must have walked with Jesus in a state of constant amazement.

Even Jesus' actions appear to be a contradiction at times, Jesus often seemed to ignore the Sabbath.  He didn't say a word when his disciples picked grain to eat while walking through the fields.  Jesus openly talked about his death and rejection from the Pharisees and Sadducees.  He talked about taking up your cross, an image not clearly identified as a symbol of victory, but one of death.  If Jesus was a pitcher, his favorite pitch would be a curve ball.

Maybe part of the lesson in all this is that God looks at things from an eternal perspective and not as we do.  Maybe it is also a invitation, to call us to look at our heros and the villians in life in different terms than we usually do.  Jesus tells us, "Do you want to live?  Then you have to die."  You have to die to self.  You have to be willing to give it all away.

Years ago when I was a youth pastor in Petersburg, Virginia, our youth had a lock in at the church.  We spent the whole night at the church, playing games and enjoying the time together.  A man called the church very late, probably seeing that we were still there.  He said he was passing through from Alabama and needed gas for his car.  I met him at a nearby Texaco station and filled his car with gas.

The man kept talking after that and telling me his story. I realize now that he was probably telling me alot of lies.  I felt sorry for the guy and gave him some money.  I don't ever do that anymore.  I'm too afraid someone will use it for cigarettes or alcohol or drugs.  The guy took my money and kept talking.  He really should have gone to work for Hollywood.  The story was that good. 

 I am not sure if that man really needed me or not.  I don't remember his name and I
 am sure he has long forgot about me.  I am sure that what may have appeared to have been a perfect con job on me was perhaps something else in God's eyes.  Maybe it was an opportunity for me to give myself away.  Over time, I have gotten a lot more cynical about people like him.  My first inclination would be to not believe him now.  To those of us who have gotten burned quite a lot by giving and caring, I think Jesus message to us is still the same.  You have to die to self.

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2