Discussions about the rapture

Lately, I've been thinking about revisiting the issue of the rapture and studying the end times.  I know some people would say why bother with this since there is so many theories and ideas.  I do think it is a good idea to ask the question "How does this apply to me right now?"  when looking at studying the Bible rather than just doing this for the fun of it.  How does whether or not the rapture happens at the beginning of the tribulation period or the end matter in the end.

The main passage I have looked at has to be 1 Thessalonians 4:17 which mentions being caught up in the air with the Lord.  This seems distinctly different to me than seeing the Lord return and come down to earth on the Mount of Olives.  There is a lot of similiarities between the idea of the rapture and the second coming, but they also appear distinctly different in some ways.  For one, if the rapture is next then that could happen at any time.  Jesus does tell us that his return could be at any time and to be ready.  We are to live prepared lives.  Jesus repeatedly says this,
"Be on the alert then, for you do not know the day nor the hour." Matt 25:13
"For this reason you be ready too; for the Son of Man is coming at an hour when you do not think He will." Matthew 24:44 also verse 42

I've seen things recently that point to predictions that the end of the world will occur sometimes in 2012.  I remember someone making that prediction when I was in Junior High.  I waited all day to see what would happen and remember looking out the window in art class wondering if this would be the day.  The day came and went like any other day and nothing happened.  Jesus actually said that only the Father knows the day and hour when He will return.  It is not something we can compute from scripture regarding a particular season or day.  Rather, it is our responsibility to live and work as if that day is today.  Now, the big question is "are we?"  Also, "How would my life be different if I anticipated Jesus coming back before the end of the day?"  "Is there any sin that needs to be confessed?"

We can all do better in living for the Lord, I am one of the primary examples of that.  I can work on forgiving others more.  I can work on being more patient.  I can work on being more compassionate.  I can work on sharing my faith, not just in words, but in actions.  What about those words though?  Do my words testify a difference in my life?  Can others tell there is something different about me?  How does the hope of the resurrection affect my daily life?  These are the questions I am asking myself.

"But immediately after the tribuation, of those days the sun will be darkened and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken and then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky with power and great glory.  And He wills end forth His angels with a great trumpet and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other." Matthew 24:29-31

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2