The importance of forgiveness

On a forum that I sometimes visit, someone asked how we can keep from backsliding.  I answered by talking about the importance of prayer and Bible reading.  While this may sound at first like a legalistic answer, it is not.  It is an answer based on the importance of staying connected to God.  It is what Jesus referred to as "abiding".  Notice this in John 15:1-4  "I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.  He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, so that it will be even more fruitful.  You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself, it must remian in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in Me."

I believe that this scripture talks about the importance of relationship with God.  Is it any wonder then, if the christian faith is based on relationship, that the first two commands and most important ones would be about relationship.  To love God and then to love others.  We cannot seperate the two.  This is why the christian faith has always called believers to do things like build hospitals and nursing homes and orphanages and to respond to crisis like in Haiti.  Because we cannot say that we love God and then hate others.  So, if I am backsliding, then it shows in my relationships first.  If I am strong, then it shows in my ability to show compassion and love and even forgiveness.

That last one I have personally the most problem with.  I know about God's forgiveness in my head, but have a hard time getting it to my heart.  If I can just confess, I would love first to get even, then we'll talk about forgiveness.  I'd love for the person who hurt me to squirm for a while, then we can talk about forgiveness.  Image if God treated you and me the same way.  But, Jesus actually forgave those who crucified him!  While they are throwing dice to decide who got his clothes, Jesus is saying, "God forgive them."  What a powerful example to us.

The truth is, that Jesus is the source by which we get the power to forgive others.  I cannot bear that fruit alone.  I can't do anything without him.  Anymore than an empty, unattached branch can bear fruit.  I can only forgive some people because God gives me the ability and compassion to do so.  It is a natural thing to want to "get even".  It is nature for us to want to retaliate and get even.  But, God calls us to a higher place.  He calls us to forgive and to even pray for those who hurt us, whether intentional or not.

"Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you."
Ephesians 4:32

"Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity." Col 3:13-14

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2