The North River: A Review

  I recently found this book at Barnes and Nobles on the bargain table.  It is called "The North River" by Pete Hamill.  I think I like it because it has to do with the strength of the human spirit and moving on despite tragedy.  Despite the overall tone in the book, especially at the beginning, which seems kinda depressing.
  Dr. Delaney is the main character.  He lives and practices medicine in New York.  One day he comes home to find his 3 year old grandson in a stroller on his front step.  His mother has decided to go look for her husband in Spain.  There is also a part of the story where Delaney is between mob figures, one of whom he knows from the War.  Delaney is currently struggling with the fact that his wife left 16 months ago and may have drown in the North River, also called the Hudson.
  I don't know New York at all since I have never been there, but my sense is that the author is giving up real facts about the city as he tells the story.  We are getting a history lesson and the love that the author has for New York really comes across in the story. 
  Here is a link to amazon.com so you can read more about this book.  There is some unnecessary cursing in the book, which I think the author could have left out and it does not add to the story.  I would give it a 4.8 out of 5.

http://www.amazon.com/North-River-Novel-Pete-Hamill/dp/0316007994/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263139212&sr=1-1

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2