the way God works Part II

I was thinking about the title to this post and the last one and I wanted to say right now that I am not claiming in this blog to have a corner on God.  I am not claiming that I know more than anyone else.  I am not claiming to be an expert.  I am just writing down my thoughts.  If anything else, this blog is helping me to process my thoughts a little.  If anyone else gets something from it then I am glad to hear that.

I was reading a booklet titled "What am I supposed to do with my life?" by Douglas Brouwer.  One of the questions he presents in the material is a statement that many well meaning christians make.  It goes something like this, "God never closes a door without opening another." Rev. Brouwer asks the questions, "Is this statement really true?"  I would have to agree with the conclusion that the author comes to when he says, "No, this is not true."  At least not in the sense meant by the people who are making this statement.

Many times this statement is made when people are facing unemployment.  Keep in mind that as I write this, unemployment stands at about 10%.  So, the question would be, if this statement is true then why are so many people out of work.  Why are so many doors not opening?  Having had an experience where I have been laid off before and have had trouble finding work before, I know it can be a belittling experience.  It is frustrating to go to a Bible study or somewhere where people talk about God answering prayers and not feeling like God is paying any attention to yours. 

Like I said earlier, I don't think this statement is true the way those say it mean it.  But, I do believe there is always opportunity to grow as a believer, particularly in the difficult times.  The fact is, that Christianity is a faith that is tested and proved, not born and put on like a coat.  Faith needs to be pruned, refined, tested.  Faith increases through the word of God and through prayer.  But, also like a muscle it grows from use.  Faith must be practice and trained into order to grow.

I don't know all of the reasons why God seems to delay in answering prayers.  I went 5 years where the only job I could find was a temp job at Capital One.  I tried three times to get on with that job permanently and it never did work out.  I looked for open doors, prayed for open doors, talked to other believers about open doors and didn't find any for a long time.  I don't have an idea today of all the reasons why I was in a limbo state at that time in my life.  But, I was there and I can tell you it is frustrating.  But, I know that God did not and would not abandon me.  I know while that prayer wasn't answered, many others were.  I know that that time was not wasted time because God can use all of our experiences, both good and bad if we allow Him to.



Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2