A Thorn

Paul plead with the Lord three times that he would take away what Paul termed "a thorn in my flesh." When he did, God responded, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor 12:9

  I want to say right up in front that in writing this verse, I am in no way comparing myself to Paul, the great apostle.  His problems were far more vast and spiritually great than any of mine.  It is a verse that goes through my mind sometimes when facing various trials.  Since today was a pretty bad day, it was a verse I thought of.  It is snowing as I write this, which is beautiful to watch, but not when your on the road.  I have been sick for about a week and a half and am tired of that and I had some difficult clients today who I am not sure how to help.  So, thorns have, in a manner of speaking, been on my mind.


   Back in 2001, I have a bad cough much like I have had this week.  I went to the doctor and he ran a series of tests.  A blood test showed that my blood sugar was elevated.  My doctor came back and said, "You have something worse than a cough.  You have diabetes."  That was another blue ribbon day for me.  I remember asking the doctor what to do about it and then we went from there adjusting my diet.  Someone has once described diabetes as a baby who is constantly crying, demanding attention and that's exactly right.  I never have a day of vacation from it.  Here I am, 8 years later and now I get 4 shots a day and take pills.  If I ignore it for one meal, I will feel terrible.

    When I was diagnosed with diabetes a friend came to me and quoted Romans 8:28 "And we know that  in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called accordng to his purpose."  He was telling me that even though  God did not cause me to have diabetes, that God could bring something good out of it.  I don't believe that God causes people to get diabetes or cancer.  I believe it is a result of being in a fallen world where there is decay and death and illness.

One of the things he taught me is how to help my son who is also diabetic.  My son, who is also diabetic since he was 5 years old, has someone who can relate to him in a way few can.  We use the same types of insulin.  We use the same type of meter (though not the same one).  There are also a lot of other things that God has taught me through this trial though I never would have wished for it.   Paul heard what God told him about his grace being sufficient and then was able to say, "Therefore, I wll boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when  am weak, then I am strong."

 Years ago, Henry Blackaby wrote some material called "Experiencing God".  It is some pretty powerful stuff.  One of his sons was one of my Sunday School teachers, so I heard a lot about Henry and how much his son loves him.  One of the things Henry says is that God sometimes speak to us through our circumstances.  I believe one of those circumstances is pain.  In fact, I would go so far to say that not only does God speak to us sometimes in our pain, but he shouts in pain.  It has a way of getting our attention.  The discomfort causes us to look up, to realize we cannot do it, to realize that I need God's grace.  Then, God message to us is that His grace is sufficient.  Maybe it is because when we are relying on grace, we get out of the way and allow God to work instead of trying to take all the credit?

1. Look back in 2 Corinthians 12:7-10 and see if you can find out why Paul may have had to keep the "thorn" he was given for a while.  In verse 7 what does it tells us that Paul avoided by having this?
2. Think back about some of the thorns in your own life, whether they be physical problems or financial or whatever.  What do you think God was trying to teach you?
3. Next time you encounter a thorn, remember that God speaks to us in our pain and ask yourself if God isn't trying to teach you something or say something at that moment to you.

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2