When God hides

1 [a]Why, O LORD, do you stand far off?

Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble?
Psalm 10:1; NIV

  There are many verses, particularly in psalms, where the psalmist indicates that God appears to be silent or hidden to him.  Keep in mind that this is David who wrote many of these psalms, not just for him personally, but for all of Israel.  It appears to be an experience that was common to David.  I am glad these verses are there because at times I struggle with understanding what God is up to or why he does not act.

  If you've ever prayed for someone to be saved and seen them walk further and further away from God.  Or if you have struggle with unemployment only to see jobs go to other people less qualified.  If you've struggled with understanding why these prayers have not been answered these verses are for you.  What do you do though when God appears to be silent? 

  I have had times when I have prayed for a job only to have to wait and wait and wait.  Not only do I not get the job, but had a temporary job that I liked quit while waiting.  Not only did God not open a door at the time, but he shut a few windows as well.  I remember going to my pastor in Virginia while I was waiting and telling him, "I feel like God is ignoring me."  Those were really difficult time.  In times like that I have a tendency to take matters into my own hands and try and force things to happen.  It's almost like my thinking becomes "Better for something to happen then to sit and wait."  Later, I realized that I should be thankful for the prayers that were not answered because I couldn't see all the possible consequences of my requests.

 I also see looking back on things that those were times when my faith took a beating, but eventually ended up stronger through the process.  It is almost as if faith is like a muscle that grows when it is used.  When everything is going well it doesn't need to be used and doesn't grow.  But, when it appears that everyone else is having prayers answered and heaven shuts its door to you it is almost as if God is saying, "Do you still trust me though you don't see me at work?"  We have a chance to prove whether or not we truly believe that God deserves our trust.

  A friend of mine who is a pastor in Texas was moving his church to a new location.  He had signed a lease agreement on a building that use to be a hispanic nightclub, but he was going to turn it into a church.  It came with 12 acres of land.  They had a month to get over $12,000 together for the closing.  A week before they closed I saw him at the post office and he told me they were stll several thousand dollars short.  I told him I thought he should be on the phones trying to get the money together.  I remember asking him if he was worried.  He replied in an absolutely calm voice that he wasn't worried and that it would all work out.  The night before they closed, this man's former church called him and asked how much he needed.  They wired the money to him overnight and they closed on time.  He didn't see God at work for weeks on the amount he needed, but rather than panic, he saw this as an opportunity to grow in his faith.

 I would add that his experience educated me also regarding a living example of what faith is.  Vic use to be fond of saying, "Just because God is quiet, doesn't mean he isn't working."  That's an important idea to keep in mind.  When the Israelites went into the desert God deliberately moved them where the Red Sea was blocking their path.  They thought they were stuck and paniced because Egypt was after them.  But, God had a plan all along and when they cried out to him he heard them in his good time.

Some other verses
Do not hide your face from me, do not turn your servant away in anger; you have been my helper. Do not reject me or forsake me, O God my Savior.  Psalm 27:9


Psalm 31:20 NIV • Read this chapter

In the shelter of your presence you hide them from the intrigues of men; in your dwelling you keep them safe from accusing tongues.

Psalm 40:10 NIV • Read this chapter

I do not hide your righteousness in my heart; I speak of your faithfulness and salvation. I do not conceal your love and your truth from the great assembly.

Psalm 44:24 NIV • Read this chapter

Why do you hide your face and forget our misery and oppression?

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2