Recognizing Holidays

  I struggled with this question a lot more when I was a pastor and had a say in the planning of a service of worship.  I went to church this Sunday, Memorial Day and the question of how much should we recognize holiday in our services came up again in my mind.

  We call it a "worship service" yet the service I went to this morning, I would say that at least 80% of the service was in reference to our country, how our country is going down the toilet or prayers for our veterans.  I don't want to sound ungrateful for our soliders.  I really do appreciate the sacrifice they make for us.  I know I wouldn't like going to Iraq or Afghanistan and appreciate that they do, in intense situations to stop terrorist and hateful people from doing things like 9/11/01.  Yet, is a worship service really the place to focus on veterans? 

  I struggled as a pastor about how much the service should be altered to mention those holidays such as Veterans or Memorial Day, Father's Day or Mother's Day.  If I am in the middle of a sermon series, should I change the sermon for that Sunday?  Many people would be expecting a sermon related to the holiday rather that just my systematically going through a text and not recognizing the season.  The fact is, that church is not done in a bubble, but in a community and holidays are a part of that.

  There was also a reference to Benjamin Franklin as bein a christian.  The pastor stated that some called him a deist, but that he was definitely a christian.  I thought to myself "have you tried reading a Jeffersonian Bible?"  Jefferson took out every spiritual and supernatural reference to Christ in his bible and all the miracles.  If they were believers, they weren't believers as I would define them.  Most of what I have heard about Franklin, he was a womanizer who liked to drink.  Granted, I appreciate his efforts also for our country, but I didn't go to church to worship or thank him.

  There is also a real possibility if I am going to be totally honest, that I am looking for an excuse not to go back to church.  It makes me uncomfortable these days and that makes me a little sad.  I feel more exhausted than when I went in to the service.  I look around and wonder to myself who the trouble makers are instead of thinking of them as brother and sisters in Christ. 

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2