Church Service last night

   I decided to try another church last night, Wednesday night prayer service, at a church I had not been to before.  I went to the first church I was thinking of checking out and there was two cars in the parking lot.  It didn't look like anyone was really doing anything, so I turned around to go to my second choice.  I arrived a few minutes late and slipped in the back. 

  The first thing I thought was, I wonder where the younger people are.  There was about 15 people present, all older than me.  Most I think it would be fair to say were senior adults.  The second thing I noticed was when the pastor made a point of singling me out after the prayer asking me if I had been there before.  They then had a man come to the back to give me an outline, which the pastor then ignored during his lesson.  The third thing I noticed, is that though I am required in my job to dot the i's and cross the t's, he didn't seem prepared at all. 

  Several thoughts went through my mind as I sat there.  One was that I understand completely most people not wanting to be there.  It was about as boring as boring gets.  No wonder most of the pews were empty.  Second, I felt sad that there wasn't more younger people there.  That is what happens when the church refuses to change, update its methods of reaching people and does the same old thing year in and year out.  The other thing is, that it is a shame that the church makes Jesus, who was probably the most revolutionary and exciting person to ever live, seem so drab and boring.   I can completely understand my kids desire not to go to church.  What a pathetic shame most churches are.  Sorry, but that's the truth.

  The thing is, that the church has a most relevant message for people today.  People are craving to hear that God loves them and to experience his forgiveness.  They need the relationship that Christ offers a hurting world.  They also need the peace that God offers and understanding and explaining our purpose for being as people.  People are looking for these answers in all sorts of other places instead of the church.

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2