prayer

  I went to church this Sunday at First Wesleyan Church in High Point.  Here is the web site if you want to check it out at http://www.firstwesleyan.org/
  The sermon was about prayer this morning and particularly about God's provision in prayer.  The pastor's key verse was about Matthew 6:11 "Give us this day our daily bread".  He talked about how God is able to do so much more than we ask, but he wants us to pray about everything.  He wants us to come to him and ask for wisdom when we need it and for our daily needs.  Among some of the other verses he used are: Ephesians 3:20; James 1:5; Hebrews 11:6.

  I began to think of my own prayer life and how sometimes I simply go to God with my concerns and really don't expand that to cover all of the needs I know about.  For example, I know of someone who ran away from home this week.  I know people who have drug problems.  I drive around each week in areas of Burlington where there are strong problems with unemployment and drugs.  Many of the people who come into our office during the week have been sexually abused or physically abused in some way.  Yet, how many times does it bother me enough to really cry out to God about it.

  The scripture in Ephesisans 3:20 caught my attention during the sermon as well.  It says, "Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abudantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us."  In some sense, I think when we go to God and pray only about our needs, I think God says, "Is that it?"  "Is that all you want?"  We should realize that God can do so much more than we dare ask for.  We limit God sometimes by shallow and selfish praying.  Maybe that is a reflections of our faith.  Maybe that is a reflection of my faith.

   Another thought that crossed my mind was that prayer is so much more than asking.  Prayer also needs to contain thankfulness for what God has done.  If you can think of nothing else, then there should be mention of the cross and the sacrifice that Jesus made for us.  There should be a mention of how God does not treat us as we deserve.  Thankfulness for God's love and mercy towards us.

  Hebrews 11:6 says "And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him."  In the previous verses, the writer mentions Enoch.  Not much is known about him except that God "took him" early on in Genesis.  We do know because of what this passage says that Enoch was a man of faith because without it he could not please God at all.  But, notice also that it says that God rewards those who "seek Him".  As I mentioned in a previous post, we are to be seekers of God.  Not just for what He can do for us, but for Him.

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2