Set Us Free

  In Galatains 5:1 it says, "It is for freedom that Christ set us free. Stand firm then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery."

    Did you know that in the ancient world where Paul lived there was probably as many as a third of the people living who were under slavery of some kind?  Paul knew a lot about slavery.  But, physical slavery was not what Paul was talking about in these verses, but a spiritual slavery to the law.  Paul was saving that Jesus set us free from the rules and regulations that appear religious, but do not help us to have peace with God.  I no longer have to worry about whether or not God is mad at me or try to win  his approval.  I simply need to have faith that Christ has paid that debt for me.

"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." Romans 5:1

   Galatians was written for some of the same reasons that Colossians was written.  Some Jews had come, probably from Jerusalem, and were telling new believers they had to follow the law of Moses along with the commands of Jesus.  Paul went on to say to them that Jesus set them free from these expectations.  They no longer had to worry about what to drink, wash or ceremonies of special days or events.  We don't have to worry about trying to earn God's favor because we already have it.  Rather, the good works that we do we do out of love for God because of what he has done for us.  So, my motivation is not fear, but it is love.

   I was talking with a lady who has been helping her son with paying some bills.  She has started to resent how much money the son is asking for.  It has been causing a lot of friction in the home.  I told her that if she could not give it willingly and because it gave her joy then she should keep it.  Keep in mind this is an adult son who is living at home.  I specifically told her she shouldn't give him a penny.  I think it is the same with giving to God.  God loves a cheerful giver.  I do the good works that I do not out of fear, but out of gratitude.  Gratitude that God has set me free from the fear of hell, forgiven all my offenses and washed my sins away.  Though it is as black as the Gulf of Mexico, God has cleansed, forgiven, as if it has never been.  If that doesn't make you want to do something in return maybe you don't have an idea of how dark the waters were to begin with.

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2