Talking with My Father

   Recently, I picked up a book at the library called "Talking with My Father" by Ray Stedman.  The late Ray Stedman was a great bible preacher and teacher, so I was anxioius to read what he had to say.  I have heard him preach on several internet sermon sites.  So far, I have not been disappointed with this little book.  It appears that the chapters were adapted from sermons that he preached on prayer.

  

        One of the first passages that he quotes is in Luke 18:1-18.  The parable is about an unjust judge and ruler who is bothered by a widow who is seeking justice for herself.  She decides she will bother the judge until she gets justice.  The story is one of contrast.  Jesus is contrasting the unjust judge with a just God.  In effect, Jesus is saying that unlike this judge, God is a willing giver of gifts.  God is like a merciful Father, who loves his children and is willing to give.

   Ray makes a comment early on in the book that really struck me as interesting.  He says that prayer is a reflection of faith.  If, in fact, I do not believe that God will do anything if I pray how likely am I to continue praying?  Probably not very likely.  But, if I believe that God is anxious to answer my prayers and hears me, then I am much more likely to bring to God all that I need. 

   I would add that it is a reflect of a healthy relationship with God.  If I have a open and honest relationship with God then I will have a ongoing dialogue with God.  I will share with God my struggles and pains and also my joys.  A lack of a dialogue is a sign of a strained relationship at best.  Having said that, also talking about prayer, rather than actually praying is also a sign of sickness.  How would you like it if people talked about talking to you, but then never did? 

  This book really has made me think about how I pray.  I am looking forward to reading more of what he has to say this week.   Some related scriptures that are brought up in this book are:
Luke 18:9-14; Luke 11:1-4; 11:5-13; John 17; John 14:12-18

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2