The problem with evil

"But as for me, my feet came close to stumbling; My steps had almost slipped. For I was envious of the arrogant, As I saw the prosperity of the wicked. For there are no pains in their death; And their body is fat. they are not in trouble as other men; Nor are they plagued like mankind. . " Psalm 73:2-5

""It was troublesome in my sight. Until I came into the sanctuary of God; Then I perceived their end." Psalm 73:16-b17

    Lately, the stories that some of my clients have been telling me are very sad.  Most of the clients I have heard about lately talk about parents who either neglected or abused them.  They talk about times when parents neglected to be watchful, was physically abusive or permissive or sexually abused them.  I told my supervisor that in some cases, I think it would have been better if they had been raised by wolves.  At least wolves would feed and clean their young.

    In fact, a look at the world around us would make it seem that if there is a god he is rather cruel.  Since the innocent often die young or are ill treated by those who are evil.  Children are often victims of abuse and neglect and those who don't know better are taken advantage of.  I think that is part of what the psalmist was seeing here.  That if we simply look at what is going on around us, we see that life is often times very unfair.  That is the part where he says, "my feet almost slipped."  In other words, I couldn't make sense of what I was seeing.  How could a loving God allow this to happen.  I think if your going to be honest as a christian, at some point you have to struggle and come to terms with the fact that we don't live in a safe or always kind world.  The beautful things of this world often get run over and crushed by the ambitious or greedy.

   That is exactly how I have felt several times lately.  I recall one man telling me how he was physically and emotionally abused as a child and it left me speechless.  As I thought about what it must have been like growing up in that family, I just could not find a word to say.  Finally, I just said, "That is incredibly sad."   A person growing up in a environment like that, what do they even think when we refer to God as "Father"? When that word "Father" brings to mine a tyrant who beats his children.  Not only that, but often times these evil people, despite what CPS does or whatever else happens, seem to get away with it.

   The psalmist said that he felt that way until he entered the sanctuary of God.  Then he realized that at the end of their lives, they had to stand and face God.  They may have had safety and security here on earth, but all of their deeds would be one day answered for.  That God will take the wounded under his wing and bring healing and will judge and deal with the abuser.  That there is no "getting away with things."

  "The eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous, And His ears are open to their cry." Psalm 34:15
"The righteous cry and the Lord hears, And delivers them out of all their troubles. The Lord is near to the brokenhearted. And saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

The wise men Matthew 2

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes