Who is Really Rich?

      I met a really rich lady the other day living in a trailer park.  You might be surprised by that since most rich people live in nice, big  houses, but yes she is rich.  She made a statement to me while we were visiting that proves it.  She said all she had was Jesus.  I thought to myself, "Then your better off than most people who don't have him."  To truly have Christ and to know Him is what it means to be spiritually rich.  This is what Paul said about this.

"More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish in order that I may gain Christ." Philippians 3:8

   So, while the world would look at this lady and see someone who is near destitute, spiritually she has something far more valueable than gold or material possessions.  While it may appear that she is very alone, she is actually never alone.  Paul said he counted all things as trash compared to knowing Jesus.  It didn't even compare in value.

"The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear Him, and rescues them." Psalm 34:7

   The people of Laodicea in contrast to my new client and friend thought they were rich, but God called them poor.  This is the church known as the lukewarm church.  I believe it is symbolic of the church of today.  Jesus said to them.  "So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth.  Because you say, "I am rich, and have become wealthy, and have need of nothing," and you do not know that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked..  I advise you to buy from Me gold refined by fire, that you may become rich, and white garments, that you may clothe yourself, and that the shame of your nakedness may  not be revealed; and eyesalve to anoint your eyes, that you may see." Revelation 3:17-18

  We could just as well cry out this statement in Hollywood or Wall Street today to those who think they are self-sufficient and not in need, "You are poor."  To those who walk the red carpet and have pictures taken of them now and don't know Jesus.  "Enjoy it now because this is your full reward.  You are poor."  To the lady in the trailer park, whose family lives far away and can't get enough money together to afford her copayment on her medication, "You are rich.  You know Jesus.  You are never alone."

  We need to remember this in these hard economic times, that those who know Jesus are truly rich.  We have something that nobody can take from us.  He is always there for us and has promised not to leave or forsake us.

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2