Lessons Learned

   I have been reflecting lately on what God has been telling me and try to get back into going to church lately.  We found a non-denominational church near our home that has a contemporary service.  I have taken the kids so far three times.  I enjoy the more contemporary service, though some of the songs I don't know.  I also like it that the church seems organized to do outreach and is reaching out to the community.  That has always been important to me.  Some other thoughts that have been going on in my head lately. . .

1. Life doesn't work out like you expect.  I never thought going through college that I would work in mental health.  I always thought I would work in a church and for a time did.  But, now I would not do that if it was offered to me.  I have what I consider a fulfilling ministry working as a case manager, helping people in practical ways.  My faith encourages me to work hard for people and to see it as more than a job or paycheck.  I'm glad that I am able to use my psychology degree, since I worked very hard to get it. 

   I think about Joseph in the bibie, how so many unexpected challenges met him.  His brothers hated him and other people treated him with contempt, yet God was with him through it.  The Bible doesn't promise an easy life or prosperity when it comes to money.  The Bible does say that when adversity comes our way that God has the ability to use it to make us stronger and to build things in us like perseverance, character, integrity and hope.  Jospeh, one of my heros of the Bible, was able to see God at work years after his trials when his brothers came to him.  He saw his brothers for who they were, but also saw that God was trying to bring about a deliverance.

2. Pain is a great teacher.  Years ago, my son stuck a popcorn seed in his ear for some reason.  We took him to the emergency room, but the doctor there couldn't get it out, so we had to wait till the next morning to take him to an ENT to get it out.  I remember it took 5 of us holding him down to get it out.  One thing that Dr.Jordan mentioned after it was out that it was in some ways good that it hurt a little because "he won't do that again."  And he never has done that particular stunt again.

    I've noticed that a lot of things get put on hold for the people I serve also, until that day and hour when it becomes a crisis.  Then, things move along quite quickly.  I've seen families put housing on hold and other issues regarding finances and jobs and housing until the eviction notice comes and then they want to work on doing something about it.  I get frustrated with those who wait that long, but sometimes I put things off or want to ignore things also, hoping they will go away on their own.  Unfortunately, a lot of things never do go away on they're own.

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2