The Professional Worrier



I have a confession to make; I think I have mastered the art of worry. I seem to have no problems at all worrying about all sorts of things. It comes as naturally to me as breathing and eating. Yet, for all of my mastery of this skill, it doesn’t seem to be doing me much good. In fact, I can remember a time in my Christian walk, when it was so debilitating that I literally couldn’t eat much of anything and was on three different stomach medications.

The Bible has several suggestions on what to do about worry. In Philippians 4:6 it says, “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.” This is followed by the promise that if I give up my anxiety and fears to God that “the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:7. Having worked in the mental health field over the last several years, I can tell you I am not alone in my mastery of worry, fortunately there is a cure. There is also a God who wants to take our worries and fears and replace it with His peace.

Years ago, when we moved into a pastorate in rural east Texas we were surprised to learn that the parsonage that we moved into had flooded before. We actually moved in while a tropical storm was in the area. Houston had received over 33 inches of rain within a period of about a week. It really troubled me that the congregation didn’t reveal until everything was moved in that the house had flooded before. I spend a lot of time worried about what would happen.

Several years past and we were packing up to move to a new location halfway across the country. A storm came through again and dumped over 12 inches of rain in a 12 hour period of time. I’ve never in my life seen it rain that hard. I told my wife that I thought it was going to flood and started stacking boxes on the tables and putting things up high. My wife simply said, “Well, I guess we’re going to get our load lightened before the moving van gets here.” While I was fearful, she was the picture of calm.

Unfortunately, nowhere in the Bible does it promise us either a life free from storms or trials. In fact, a careful study of scripture show us that all of the saints had they’re struggles and problems. The good news is that we have a peace that can replace the fears that “goes beyond comprehension”. That means it is greater than our fears, it defies logic, it goes beyond the facts.” That is because we have a God who is “near us” and went through many of the struggles that we have and has promised not to abandon us.

So, I’ve put in my resignation as a professional worrier. I have decided I don’t need to be a part of that union anymore. Instead, I have joined a different team. And when I still feel the urge to worry or get upset about the things around me that don’t go right. I remember that God is with me and that He wants me to give him my burdens and trials. He wants all of us to do this because God cares for His children. Matthew 7:9-12

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2