A Time for Everything

    In the book of Ecclesiastes, the prophet wrote these words, "There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven- A time to give birth, and a time to die; A time to plant and a time to uproot what is planted. A time to kill, and a time to heal; A time to tear down, and a time to build up."  Prov 3:1-3

   I've seen that in my own life and work.  Things seem to move in patterns.  We go through a season of growth, then pruning, then testing, then waiting, then watering, then rebirth.  When I left Philippi, I told the church that God calls people to places and he calls them away.  He moves by his own times and seasons, not ours.

   The important thing is to see that each season has its purpose.  When I wait, it tests my faith, so that I am ready for the next step that I must take.  When I am pruned, it is for the purpose of more growth.  When things die or move on, then it makes room for other things.  Each season has its own joys, its own heartaches and its own trials.  They build on each other sometimes.

   When I was a chaplain at WakeMed, I can recall being afraid at first when I was on call.  Being on call at a hospital with 550 beds by yourself is a terrifying thing, at least it was to me.  I can recall one Sunday doing a worship service and having a trauma call right in the middle of the service.  I had to pray and end the service and run to the other end of the hospital.  You just never knew who you would meet or what they would be going through, could be a car accident, or a knife wound or a stillborn baby or something else.  Most of the circumstances were sad and difficult, a valley to be walked through.

   But, even the valleys have a purpose.  Though God does not cause them.  He can bring something good out of them.  That is the meaning of Romans 8:28.  In Romans 5:3-5 it says "And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulations brings about perseverance, and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; andhope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us."   The apostles never promised a trouble free life.  Most of them were actually martyred for their faith.  They promised that it wasn't in vain.

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2