My new favorite verse

    One of the most of quoted books in the New Testament is the book of Isaiah.  Isaiah had quite a bit to say about Jesus.  Even though, his ministry started around 739 B.C. before Christ.  Yet, he seems to barely be able to write a chapter without mentioning Jesus. 
    A verse that came to mind today is "The steadfast of mind Thou wilt keep in perfect peace.  Because he trusts in Thee." Isaiah 26:3.  It made me think about why it is that so many people, including many christians don't appear in the least to be experiencing peace.  Is it possible that our minds and hearts are not reflecting and focused on Him and His promises.  It is too often that we are focused instead on our circumstances rather than Jesus.  You will notice that this promise is for those who "trust" in Him and not themselves.
     I'm really glad I read this passage because I needed it.  It seems to me that my day is much better when I start it with spending time with God and focusing on Him.  It makes me wonder if this day was "better" what was worse going to look like?  You may think that on a busy day you don't have time to spend with God, but from what I have experienced the busier I get the more I need to make the time to spend with Him.  I need it because it is too easy to lose my cool and say something I will regret  or get angry or gossip or something like that.  It is too easy to walk in the flesh and forget about focusing on Christ.  I need to be reminded daily and sometimes hourly to trust Him.  As Jesus told his disciples, the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.  Yes, we are very weak.
    In that same chapter, I noticed a promise also for the future that is pretty amazing when you think about it.  In Isaiah 26:19 it says, "Your dead will live; Their corpses will rise. You who lie in the dust, awake and shout for joy, For your dew is as the dew of the dawn. And the earth will give birth to the departed spirits."  I thought about that as I was driving by a graveyard, that one day the spirits would rise up out of the earth and rejoice that Jesus has resurrected them and that God's power is great enough to do that.  That maybe my trust is God is too small and that on the tough days he stretches me because he wants me to grow up and mature in my faith in Him and remember how great he really is.
  

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2