bondage breaker

      For one of the classes I am taking this fall, I have to read 8 books in 8 weeks.  We are now into the sixth week of the class.  I have enjoyed most of the books quite a bit as it helps to show different counseling methods and models.  This week I initially resisted the ideas presented in the book by Dr.Neil Anderson called "The Bondage Breaker".  I don't know that he really presents a counseling model, but he does remind us that there is a spiritual battle going in in the believers life and this battle starts in the mind.  One of his big ideas is that we are to take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ 2 Corinthians 10:5

    While I am not endorsing all of the book since I don't believe that believers can be influenced by demons and things like that, I do think that it is a good reminder that what we believe about ourselves is often how we behave.  It is also a good reminder that Satan does not want us to understand who we are "in Christ".  That little phrase "in Christ" is used often, particularly by Paul the apostle, in describing our relationship with God.  It is a key to understanding how God sees us and how God can welcome us with open arms into his family.  Because we are victors in God's eyes over sin because of what Jesus did on the cross and the power of the resurrection.

     So, it is important to replace lies with truth.  Lies can be subtle, but also very dangerous.  An example that is mentioned in the book "Search for Significance" by McGee is that this

   "I am what I am.  I cannot change. I am hopeless." (McGee, 1990).

     A lot of people believe they cannot change.  In truth, they don't want to change.  Change is sometimes painful and difficult.  But, the truth is that under the power of Jesus nobody is hopeless.  And you can overcome sin and change and become more christ-like.  You can have victory.  It isn't just for the super spiritual.  God does accept you and loves you, but also wants you to experience more of that love and grace.  Another lie goes like this:

    "I must be approved by certain others to feel good about myself."

    There are people who commit suicide or do all sorts of foolish things when they experience peer pressure because they think they must be approved by certain people.  The truth is that even if nobody approves of your actions or likes you God still loves you.  When you base your self-worth on what he thinks about you rather than other people's opinions then you can experience peace knowing that God loves you.  If others don't want to be your friend or like you then that is their loss, not yours.

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

The wise men Matthew 2

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes