thoughts about church

    So, we went to Easter morning service this morning at 11:30 am.  I don't know if they have a early service at sunrise, but I see no point in getting up that early.  We get to church and I gave my tickets to the lady at the door.  Yes, they have tickets (which are free) in order to reserve seating. 
    The first song in the service actually sounded like a secular song.  It was chosen because the pastor is starting a new sermon series and of course that is more important than Easter.  So, I really felt like I was in a rock concert instead of a Easter service.  About the only way you could tell is that he was a little more evangelistic than usual and a few more people than usual.
    I sat there wondering to myself for about the hundredth time if this church was really appropriate for me.  It is a very modern church much like Ed Young Jr's church with spotlights everywhere and loud music.  The church is really geared towards the 20's and 30's postmodern generation after my generation.  It also isn't really geared towards seminary graduates who have preached themselves for several years.  I have to keep reminding myself of that.  The sermons have been pretty good for the last month and I am usually a hard person to please in that respect.  Since there are so many people coming and going (5 services every Sunday) it is hard to get to know anyone, but we are planning on joining a small group on the 16th of April, so that should help. 
    I wonder if the apostle Paul would have approved of all the loud music and approach of this church.  There is a possibility that he would.  He would say that you must do all that you can to reach people and this is one way to do that (1 Corinthians 9:22).  He might even suggest even more radical approaches than we see at the church I go to.  But, there is also a possibility that he might not.  One thing I think the church must be careful of is to try and get people attention or to attract them through worldly methods instead of the message of the cross and resurrection of Jesus (Galatians 1:9).  Paul said it this way:
   "And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God.  For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified."  1 Cor 2:1-2
   Paul didn't have bumper stickers on the back of wagons and camels to get everyone's attention or spotllights or slick motto's or slogans.  In fact, he wanted to be careful that the spotlight was not on him at all.  He wanted the power of Christ to be evident and to speak about nothing other than Jesus Christ.
    And I am not saying that the pastor this morning didn't do that.  He did preach a very evangelistic message.  Which is kinda strange after what was a very secular song to start the service.  But, I will give him credit that he did keep the message Christ centered.  That is one of the reasons I am still there after four weeks of attendance.  Which, is actually the most I have attended any one church straight in the last five years.  So, I guess the verdict is still out on this church and my place in it.

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2