Go away from me Lord

     I don't know if you've ever had a weakness or problem that caused a stumbling block for you spiritually.  I've been a christian now for almost 30 years, so I have had my share.  It actually seems that I do pretty good when it comes to the really big challenges.  It is the day to day sins and compromises that I tend to give in to.  It makes me feel ashamed sometimes that after all this time I have so much more to learn and more growth that is needed.
     I think this may have been how Peter felt when he saw the Lord act on his behalf.  The Lord had been preaching when he finished it says tht he told Simon Peter to "Put out into deep water and let down the nets for a catch." Luke 5:8.  Peter knew that they had been fishing all night and caught nothing.  They were exhausted, depressed and just wanting to pack up and go get some sleep.  Still, Jesus told them to go back out, so Simon decides not to argue and takes them back out in the middle of the day.
     The result was that both his and the partners boat were filled with fish and began to sink.  Peter's reaction is a classic, he says, "Go away from me, Lord, I am a sinful man."  He realizes that Jesus was able to do something that he couldn't do and the power of it shocked him and humbled him.  They seemed to even be afraid of Jesus at this point.  Jesus replies to Peter's comment by saying "Don't be afraid; from now on you will catch men." Luke 5:11.
     I think Peter may have realized that this miracle that Jesus performed was something that was so casual to Jesus that it appeared effortless.  He realized that he was dealing with a power that was completely beyond him.  It may be that christians today are so common when they talk about the Lord that they don't realize what a powerful God we serve.  I would encourage you to meditate on Ephesians 3:20 which says, "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever!"  Did you notice that, he can do more than we can imagine or ask!
     A few weeks ago we were at a small group meeting that we recently decided to be a part of.  When prayer requests were being shared I mentioned a request.  I also mentioned that I wasn't worried about it because I knew that God is in control.  I know that nothing is difficult for him and that he can change things in a heartbeat.  I know God can because I have seen him do it, time and time again.  I don't deserve for God to act, but I nevertheless will brag about God, God is able to do more than we can ask or imagine.
   This led Jesus to tell the disciples one day "I tell you the truth, if anyone says to that mountain, Go, throw yourself into the sea and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it wil lbe done for him." Mark 11:22-24  The problem is not that the mountain is too big.  The problem is that our faith is too small. 

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2