Abram and Sarai

   In Genesis 20, there is a story of Abram and Sarai where Sarai is taken in Abimelech household because he thinks that Abram and Sarai are brother and sister.  God comes to Abimelech in a dream and tells him that he is a dead man because he has taken Sarai to be his wife.  It is interesting that God tells him to give Sarai back to Abram and that Abram will pray for him that he might be forgiven for this.  God describes Abram as a prophet.
    This is something that happens at least three different times over two generations in the book of Genesis.  Where Sarai nearly becomes another man's wife because of this lie that Abram tells others.  Abram appears, in contrast to his other great faith filled moments, to be very human and very fearful of others.  In a way, it actually encourages me, that God can use others even when they are very imperfect.
      Really, if you look at the disciples and some of the other great saints in the Old Testament you see the same story.  David had Bathsheba and Uriah.  Moses buried a man in the sand that he had killed.  The story in the Bible is of God using imperfect people despite themselves.  Sometimes these blunders were premeditated and shocking.  Sometimes they were impulsive decisions that had lasting consequences.  Yet, God still did great things through them.
      I really think this says something about the great mercy, grace and forgiveness of God.  That he doesn't have to wait until we attain sainthood or perfection in order to use us.  That he is forgiving of our fraility and selfishness.  That he understands that we are going to fail and sometimes fail in major ways.  That this doesn't somehow suprise God.  That even in the end he can use of our weaknesses, failures and trials to teach us.
      One of the things that I think failure teaches us is the need to remain humble.  I saw a billboard when I was in Houston years ago that said, "Humble and proud of it."  Humility is something that I feel when God uses me because I know how frail and imperfect I am.  I know I have no right to brag about anything and that it is all because of him.  When we start to become proud we move into dangerous and deep waters. 
      The other thing I think it teaches me is my utter dependence on God.  It is amazing to me that when I have even forgotten that I prayed about something and then days later see God answer a prayer.  Do I always pray with a spirit of anticipation that God will answer?  One thing I have noticed is that my day and week always goes better when it starts with prayer and giving my day to God.  It is so much better to walk into work knowing that you have prayed about your day.  I can remember many days stopping at a rest stop on the way to work and praying because I was wanting a few moments to pray before I faced my day.  It may seem like we are too busy to pray.  I would say your too busy not to pray.

    Thank God that he hears us when we pray and that He can use any of us if we depend on Him.

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2