Abundantly beyond all that we ask

   In Ephesians 3:20 Paul writes, "Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us. . . ."

    Based on what scripture says, here in the above verse and numerous others.  It seems clear that there is nothing that God cannot do.  In fact, according to this verse, our imagination isn't great enough to think of something that God cannot do.  I cannot out ask God in what he is able to do for me.  That's pretty great because I have a pretty good imagination.  What this verse is really saying is that God is infinitely greater than my mind can comprehend.

    So, the question when it comes to our prayers is not whether or not God is able.  I think about the passage in Mark 9:23 where Jesus is speaking with the father of a boy who is filled with a demon.  The man has some doubt since he brought the boy to the disciples and they haven't been able to heal him.  When Jesus hears this doubt he says, "If you can!  All things are possible to him who believes."  And right here I want to affirm this.  I believe God is able to do all things, except violate his own holy, loving nature.

    The question for me when I pray is never then if God can.  I know emotionally and intellectually that God can do anything.  It's his universe, made by Him and for Him and through Him.  He can do anything he wants whenever he wants.  The truth about it is, that I wonder sometimes why it appears that God doesn't.  I have trouble reconciling this with the image of God as the loving father who wants to give good gifts to his children.  I have trouble understanding that pull and tug of how God interacts with his creation.  When good people die in their youth or a young child is abducted and killed.  Or when a teacher stays after school to help a struggling student and gets killed by that same student.  I struggle to understand why these horrible things happen and why sometimes when you really need an answer like "yesterday" God becomes so silent.

    And this struggle required that we walk by faith because there are no simple, bumper sticker answers for that.  I know that that is not God's perfect will.  I know that God is not responsible for the evil that goes on in the world.  I know that God will make it right one day.  But, I struggle to understand God's silence and his allowing it to happen in the first place.  Just like I struggle to understand why God can answer some of my prayers almost immediately and then some linger on for years.

    I absolutely love it how our questions and struggles don't offend the heart of God.  They are even written in the Bible and declared by David and the other writers of the psalms.  If you don't believe me read verses like Psalm 10:1 or 13:1.  God allowed these words to be written down by godly men to show us that these struggles are not new.  And it is okay to have them.  God is not going to strike you down because your struggling.  It actually means that you have faith and it is maturing.

    I think it is important when we struggle to affirm what we are sure of and what we know.  I know that god loves me and didn't abandon me.  I know that he will not forsake me.  I know that he desires to give good gifts to His children.  I know that he sent his son to die for me and that he suffered a horrible death on a real cross.  I know that one day death and sin will be destroyed and that God will judge the wicked and the unrepentant.  I know that one day things will be much more clear.  

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

The wise men Matthew 2

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes