Dealing with Change

     This week I started a new job with a new company.  For me, this is a huge change since I have previously been with the same company for almost 7 years.  It hasn't been a matter of just learning a new computer system, but even a new method of doing therapy, new people to call when you have a problem, new policies, new office space, new computer systems.  It is a lot to take it all at once.  Even though everyone has been really nice and supportive in this process.
       One of the things that has helped me is to remember how God has seen me through other changes and tests.  There have been obstacles greater than this in the past and God moved them or helped me navigate through it before.  It reminds me of the story in Joshua 4 where God leads the people of Israel across the Jordan.  The Jordan actually parted much like the Red Sea.  And after it was over, God told them to gather 12 stones (representing the twelve tribes of Israel) and to place them in a visible place where they could be reminded and teach their children about God's provisions and miracles.
        God does this often in the Old and New Testament.  Many of the holidays of the Jewish people have symbols to remind the people of the trials that they went through and that God saw them through.  Now, we have the Bible and the written word to remind us of what God has done.  I think that is why it is so important to read it.  Because life can get overwhelming at times.  We have to remember that God isn't overwhelmed by our trials.  He can see you through just like he has in the past.
        When I was a chaplain at WakeMed Hospital in Raleigh, one of my fears was that there would be just one medical emergency or trauma one after another and I would be the only chaplain there.  How would I be able to deal with that by myself.  Then, my last 24 hour on call, we have 5 trauma calls within 90 minutes.  That almost never happens, but it was a tough night.  But, I dealt with each family and survived the experience.  Not only survived it, but did pretty well.  I'm reminded of that sometimes that God can see you through more than you think.

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

The wise men Matthew 2

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes