Soul Detox by Craig Groeschel

    I just got finished e the book "Soul Detox" by Craig Groeschel.  Craig is the founding pastor of Lifechurch.tv and creator of YouVersion bible app.  This is the first book of his that I have read.  Craig has a very easy to read writing style which made this a fast read.  I also liked how he dealt with some issues of great importance and sometimes overlooked.  Such things such as dealing with negative thoughts, envy, fear, comparing ourselves to others and resentment.  He also has a section on toxic influences and materialism which I found very appropriate especially around christmas time.
     One of the verses that I thought of but wasn't mentioned in this book is Matthew 10:16 which says to "be shrewd as serpents, and innocent as doves,"   I thought of this verse because more than anything else this book reminded me that I am to be intentional about the way that I live my life.  I am to be aware that as a christian I am living a lifestyle that conflicts with the world's values and that there are many stumbling blocks out there. Matthew 18:7 tells us that it is inevitable that stumbling blocks will come.  But, Jesus tells us to deal assertively with them being aware that they will hinder our spiritual growth.  Jesus goes to the extreme of telling us that if our eye causes us to stumble then to throw it out.  That's pretty gross, but the point is not to go around with one eye, but to deal aggressively and shrewdly with it.  Not to see how much sin we can get away with or to settle for a lukewarm attitude toward it, but to be wise about the devil's schemes.
    I was reading this morning about how friendship with the world is hostility toward God James 4:4.  We can't have it both ways.  Soul Detox made me take stock of what areas of my life need to change or where have I made compromises in my life.  There are a lot of sins and areas where christians make excuses or say something like "everyone else does it."  Whether that is watching rated R movies or gossip or greed or envy of what others have or simply holding on to grudges.   In another verse in James it says, "He jealousy desires the Spirit which he has made to dwell in us." James 4:5.  I believe he becomes jealous when we allow other things into our hearts and minds that have no place there while settling for less of his Spirit than he wants to give us.
    One of the gifts I can give the Lord this christmas is all of my heart. Cleansing away those things that I have allowed to creep in and compromised on.  Not so that I can be saved, but in order that the Lord might deepen His relationship with me and reveal more of Himself to me.  Again in James 4:8 it says, "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, purify our hearts, you doubleminded."  Did you see that promise?  If I draw near to Him than he will draw near to me.  I want that, don't you?

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

The wise men Matthew 2

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes