Verses to meditate on

     These are some verses I am working to commit to memory to help transform my thinking and help me to walk more closely with the Lord. 

    "For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses.  We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ",  2 Corinthians 10:4-5, NASV

     I picked this because I am convinced that the battle for our affections and attention start in the mind.  There are lofty fortresses that must be torn down, so that they do not take a place of priority that belongs only to Christ.  If we are not careful to take these thoughts captive they can become idols.  They are raised up not against us, but against Christ and the knowledge of Him.

     "God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God."  2 Corinthians 5:21

     Two thoughts here, one is that of Jesus' sacrifice to become sin on the cross for us.  His death was a substitution for what I deserved.  By doing this, God now sees me in a different light.  We become the righteousness of God because of his taking our place.  Therefore, this should encourage each of us to lay aside the old nature and old ways.

     I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live but Christ lives in me.  The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."  Galatians 2:20, NIV

     In reading this, I have to ask myself have I truly crucified myself to the flesh.  Am I living in the body the life of faith that God would have for me.  Or I am living very much by sight and only by my limited understanding.  It is due to his love for me that Jesus gave of  himself.  Is my love so lukewarm that I cannot give of myself to Him?  Am I willing to lay down everything and all the burdens of this world for him?  Or am I still clinging to things around me.  God fills those who have emptied themselves of themselves.  Am I still living or does Christ live in me?

     "I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things.  I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ." Php 3:8

     This is somewhat repetitive, but it is a theme that is part of my devotions right now.  Paul was saying that everything else is rubbish, literally trash, compared with knowing Christ.  Am I pressing on in my faith to know Him more and more each day.  Is my attitude the same way that in comparison to knowing Him everything else is trash?

   "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is, his good, pleasing and perfect will"  Romans 12:2

    Even as a child of God, my thinking needs to be transformed.  I can too easily be conforming to the pattern of this world.  I need to transform my thinking and also my devotions to what is God's priority and his heart.  In doing this, I can finally know and be confident that I am approving and understanding what is God will and what is pleasing to Him.  When we conform to be more comfortable we can lose sight of His will because we are compromising our view. 
 

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

The wise men Matthew 2

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes