Where is God part 3

   This is just some comments about pastor Jonathan's recent message on the series "Where is God?"  Pastor talked about where is God when there are times when he seems distant.  He said that there are four main things that God is up to when he seems distant.  The four things are:
1. He may be correcting you
2. He may be growing you
3. He may be preparing you
4. He may be reminding you

    I think about when a farmer or person prepares a field or a place to plant a garden.  They have to get rid of all the weeds and things that would hinder the plants from growing.  It is a preparation time.  From what I have seen it can be a very intensive work experience, but important for the overall outcome.  I think it is no less important spiritually for us to undergo times of preparation, so that the fruit that we bear might be fruitful.  We do go through times when God wants to correct us.  In Hebrews 12:8-11 it tells us that God discipline is proof of his love.

He may be growing you.  I think many times this is what God wants to do in my life.  He wants me to walk by faith.  That means I have to trust Him when I don't see him at work or feel his presence.  Otherwide, it isn't walking by faith it is walking by feelings.  Along those same lines it may be a time of preparation.  Charles Swindoll in his book "A Man of Grit and Grace: Paul" wrote about Paul's time of solitude in Arabia before he began his public ministry.  But, the truth is that most of the great teachers of the Bible including David, Moses, Joseph and even Jesus went through periods of solitude and testing before fruitful ministry.  For Jesus it was 3 days.  For Moses it was fourty years.

It may also be to remind you.  In Hebrews again it says that Jesus has promised never to leave us or forsake us as believers.  I am to not put my trust in feelings.  I know I like the feelings of a good sermon or service when you really feel like God spoke directly to you as much as anyone.  I love it when you hear a worship song and it felt like God's Spirit was ministering directly to you.  I hate the times of feeling empty, drained and all alone.  But, there is some fruit that God can only bear by removing all the weeds and thorns and junk in your life, so he can prepare you and get you ready to move on to new levels with Him.  Remember that before every great season of growth there is a time of preparation.

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2