Matthew 8

The scripture in the devotional I read this morning was in Matthew 8:14-21 about how Jesus warns the disciples about the leaven of the Pharisees. Previous to this, Jesus had fed about 4,000 men with seven loaves of bread. The disciples are talking among themselves about the fact that they have only one loave of bread. Apparently, they are worried about this even after seeing the miracle. They think that Jesus' reference to leaven in verse 15 is about bread.

This in some ways reminds me of myself at times. The worries of each day consume me and I forget what God has provided in the past. All I can see is the troubles "right now" and not how He saw me through yesterday. I wonder what the facial expression and tone of voice Jesus used to speak to the disciples in this passage? Was he angry? Did it frustrate him to have disciples who could see such miracles and not learn anything? How is it possible to see 4,000 people fed on a few small loaves and then get worried because you have only one loaf? Did Jesus wonder that too I wonder? If he did, then he also wonders about me when I am slow to learn and see and walk by faith. His question in verse 21 he could equally apply to me today, "Do you not yet understand?"

Thank God for his patience and lovingkindness in the face of my stubbornness and being slow to learn.

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2