Forgiving

All of my life, I have heard in church what a forgiving God we have. It sounds so wonderful when you are on the receiving end of forgiveness. But, isn't it hard to be the one to give it? Especially when the other person isn't asking for it and doesn't feel like they have done anything wrong. I've had a person in my life for the last 10 years that I have had trouble accepting and forgiving. For some deep reason that I can not understand, I feel hate when I simply hear the person's voice. I feel disrespected, mocked and belittled by the person. Yet, this is a person I need to forgive for past wrongs, whether they ask for it or not.

Forgiveness is not pretending the wrong did not hurt.
Forgiveness is not making light of your pain.
Forgiveness isn't cheap or easy.
Forgiveness isn't something to take lightly or to give carelessly.
Forgiveness is not about being above someone else.
Forgiveness is about letting go and giving up the right to get even on our own terms.

"For Thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive, And abundant in lovingkindness to all who call upon Thee." Psalm 86:5
"And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." Ephesians 4:32

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2