Anniversary

  Recently, I went to Texas to celebrate with my family my parents 50th wedding anniversary.  I found myself pointing to different landmarks as I drove with my family through the neighborhood I grew up in.  Pointing out where someone lived or where I went to school or remarking "This road wasn't here when I was a kid."  We also got to watch some slides of my parents and family that my sister and I have saved.  It was great to get caught up with people and hear what is happening in their lives.

 One of the men who pastored my parents church was at the annivesary party.  It was his last Sunday at the church before going on to work as a chaplain and administrator at a hospital.  He happened to be the associate pastor when I was a teenager at that same church.  I reminded him of some things we both took part in.  It was great to see him and hear what was happening in his life. 

 I also got to see a friend who I hadn't see since 1987 when I was in college.  Her husband started a ministry before they met in Houston dealing with troubled teens.  We got a chance to see what God is doing through them to help troubled young people.  It is great to see God at work in their lives.

 So, it was a great time to remember and reflect and see what God has done in people's lives.  It's interesting to see how God leads and directs us.  Sometimes we end up in places or doing things that we never would have thought of doing.  It reminds me of what Isaiah said when God says, "Who will go for us?" and Isaiah said, "Here am I, send me."  It was that willingness to be used that God needed in order to send Isaiah.  He did not send Isaiah against his will.  I imagine though that there were times that Isaiah wondered what he had signed up for. 

 When I was a teenager, I told the youth leader of our Wednesday Bible study that I thought he should do a Bible study on Job.  He said, "No, I think you should do it."  I decided to take him up on the challenge, though I had never led a study before.  I actually chickened out the first time he suggested it, but did it the second week.  I was scared out of my mind.  I was afraid someone would ask a question I wouldn't be able to answer or people would not like what I had to say.  I imagined a ton of things that could go wrong.  But, none did and I survived and taught several hundred Bible studies after that.  But, it all started with that one challenge which I was given.  God gives us challenges like that.  Sometimes it seems more than we can do.  But, with God's help we can do much more than we think we can.

Reflect back on the last year or several years.  What has God led you through?
What has God called you to do that you didn't think you could do?
Are you willing to say like Isaiah did ,"Here am I. Send me!"
What is holding you back that you may need to let go of?

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2