No more condemnation

"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" Romans 8:1

   It seems that Christians are more often known for what they are against than what they are for.  They seem to be thought of by many people as rigid and judgmental.  Maybe that is because we sometimes are and sometimes fight over things that seem petty to others outside the church, like whether or not to have a softball team or an Easter Egg Hunt.  But, it seems to me that christians should be a most forgiving lot since we have been forgiven so much. 

    If I ever do come across as judgmental, I would say that the person I have the least amount of grace towards is myself.  I tend to dwell on past mistakes and sins long after I have asked for forgiveness.  So, these words in Romans 8 (in fact the whole chapter is beautiful) reminds me that God no longer condemns me.  Those sins have been placed on and nailed to the cross.  It is great if I want to learn from my mistakes, but I don't have to keep beating myself up over things that God has washed away.

  The thing of it is, that if I could have earned my own way to heaven in the first place than the cross would seem like a horrible, cruel thing to do to the Son of God.  If it could have been avoided at all.  That is in fact what Jesus asked the Father in Gethsemane when he asked that if possible that that cup be taken from him.  But, God revealed that there actually was no other way.  No other way to attain our rescue than through the hell on the cross.

  So, in recalling that I did not earn that forgiveness and it was in fact paid for me by Jesus, then I am to walk in that forgiveness.  I am to work hard at forgiving others.  That doesn't mean to make light of it or to act as though it did not matter.  It doesn't mean to minimize what happened.  It means to follow the example of Jesus.

"Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you." Colossians 3:13

"And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins." Mk 11:25

"Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." Ephesians 4:32

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2