Zechariah's Visions

  The little prophetic book of Zechariah has some fantastic visions in it.  We lose a lot of the meaning in the present day because so much of it is symbolic.  Zechariah lived during a time of economic and political upheaval for the promise land.  The Jewish people were coming back from captivity from Babylon to rebuild Jerusalem and their country.  Much like Iraq has been the last couple of years, the nation was vulnerable to attack and corruption.

  Zechariah has a vision in the night in Zechariah one and he says, "During the night I had a vision-ahd there before me was a man riding a red horse! He ws standing amongh the myrtle trees in a ravine. Behind him were red, brown, and white horses." Zech 1:8  I believe this is significant that the rider was down in a ravine.  It represents the low place that Israel finds itself in this period.  The rider is Jesus Himself, a preincarnate vision of the Son of God.  The fact that he is down in the ravine suggests that God is there with them, fighting their baIttles for them and with them.  The angel who speaks with Zechariah will clarify this in verse 14-17 of this chapter.

  This is meaningful to me because it tells me that though I may go through valleys of my own as a believer, God has not forsaken me.  God is willing to get down in that ravine with me and help me to fight my battles.  The important thing for me to remember is to stay faithful to him.  God tells them this in verse 3 when he tells them "Return to me, declares the Lord Almighty, and I will return to you."  Our trouble really begin and ends when we try to do things our own way, in our own timing, without relying on the Lord.

  I get frustrated because I cannot see the big picture of what God wants or what direction that he is leading me.  He sees it and even in the delays and problems can bear fruit if I allow him to.  I must not try to put my hands back on the steering wheel of my life and force the issue.  I must allow his perfect timing to have its result.  Because it is often in the waiting that he is growing in me the faith, the perseverance, the maturity that I will need to accomplish his will.  It needs to be enough to know that God has not abandoned me and is there with me.

Want another encouraging word? Try Beth Moore's a Quick Word at
http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/a-quick-word-with-beth-moore/

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2