Rescued

   Today was one of those days where I just wanted to stay in bed and pull the covers over my head and go back to sleep.  I am not sure why I felt that way.  Nothing actually bad happened all day.  I actually felt okay and my blood sugar was normal all day.  In fact, it was 86 when I came home from work which is right in the middle of normal. 

  So, after seeing one of my clients and feeling pretty good about the visit, I came home and mowed my lawn.  I hate mowing my lawn because it has a lot of hilly spots on it.  In fact, the backyard has a huge hill that is great for sledding down if it snows, but otherwise is not a good thing.  After mowing, I notice that my cat Tootsie had a baby rabbit (brown) in her mouth.  She was going across the street with it presumably to eat it.  Of our three cats, Tootsie is the only female and the hunter of the group.

  Anyway, I stopped Tootsie and took the rabbit out of her mouth and let it go.  I took Tootsie inside to get her away from it and then came back to the rabbit.  It looked to be in shock, but when I walked toward it it ran off across the street.  I know some would say that I should have left it alone, but it felt pretty good to save the little guy.

  It made me think about the verses in Colossians, one of my favorite letters, where Paul stated that God rescued us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of His son.  The emphasis is not on what we do, but on what God does.  God does the rescuing, which we are helpless, undeserving and condemned.  Don't think that when you get to heaven your going to be able to claim what a great person you are because you are not.  You and I stand condemned without the cross, plain and simple.  As helpless and hopeless as that rabbit was about an hour ago.  But, despite the fact that we did not deserve it (grace) God had mercy on us and saved us.  I think that is pretty cool.

 Maybe not a lot of people cared today whether or not I got out of bed and went to work and did my thing.  But, I know one little rabbit in this neighborhood that is very grateful I was there.   I know too, that I don't say to God how grateful I am that He saved me, when I was helpless to do it myself.

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2