You do not ask

"you want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You do not have because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives." James 4:2-3



   This week I had some prayers of mine answered.  It was a great encouragement for me to keep  praying for those things that I want to happen that have not yet.  In thinking about the situation, I realized that I went for a long time hoping, but not praying about my concerns.  James was telling his readers that there were two main reasons they were not getting what they wanted.  One they were asking with wrong motives.  But, also there were times when they were not asking at all.  They preferred to do things their own way rather than humble themselves and pray.

  Over and over again, the Bible encourages us to lift up our hearts concerns to God.  In Philippians 4:6 it says, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your  requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."  You notice there that it says, "in everything", meaning that there is nothing that should be excluded.  It should be brought to the Lord.  It should be examined in the light of His presence. 

  There have been times in bringing things to God that God would change my heart and I would stop praying for whatever I had thought was important.  There was also times when I would realize as I was praying that what I was asking for was not appropriate or was being asked for for selfish reasons.  By bringing that to God, I am saying to God that He has the right to change, to answer or to reject my request.  Since I am a child of His, then He has the right to do this.  He is the one who I am ultimately answering to at the end of my life the same as everyone else.  So, he searches our minds and hearts in prayer and has a chance to show us His will.

  One of my friends in college, who is now a pastor use to quote these verses to me, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."  Sometimes there is a delay in answered prayer because God is examining our hearts "Do you really trust me?"  God asks.  Are you leaning on your own  understanding, your own timetable, your own dreams and goals or are you willing to give them to me?  Are you willing to surrender them knowing that I know what is best for you?  Or are you stil in the drivers seat?

Related Luke 11:9-10; John 14:14; John 15:7; John 16:24; James 1:5-7; Romans 8:26-27; Luke 18:1; Eph 6:18; Is 65:24; Psalm 91:15;

www.crosswalk.com/prayer/

www.upperroom.org/prayer_center/

www.prayer.org/

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2