Flowers on the Cross

    I hope everyone who is reading this had a good Easter.  I just wanted to share some thoughts about our Easter service this past Sunday.  We went to a church that is non-denominational that we have been to several times in the area.  Though we had not been to that particular church in about 6 weeks. 

    This is a church that has a traditional service and then a more contemporary service at 11 am.  On this particular morning, because it was Easter we started at 10:30 am.  Most of the service was music, which was loud and contemporary.  I like contemporary music, but knew only one song out of all the ones he used.  The pastor himself spoke for less than 10 minutes, possibly less than 5, I did not time him.
I felt after leaving that I did not attend a service, but a concert.  The pastor who preaches less than 5 minutes should be ashamed of himself.  People come to hear the word.  I know he would say you heard the word in music, but there is a difference.

   The one thing I did enjoy was the flowering of the cross.  We were allowed to come up to the front and place flowers on a wooden cross.  The pastor commented that we made something that was ugly beautiful.  The truth is that Jesus made what was ugly, a symbol of torture now a symbol of hope.  What was a symbol of hopelessness and a cruel death, now for millions comes to symbolize God's love and the extremes that God would go to to demonstrate that love.

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2