Prayer

     If you really examined my prayer life lately, you would have to say that it is "spotty" at best.  At times, I have had long periods of time where I don't pray that much and other times where that seems that is all I do.  And if we are going to be totally honest about it, I am not all that patient when it comes to answered prayer.  I mean that actual part where you rest and give God time to answer.  I am much more likely to try and produce a result or two on my own.

"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." Matthew 7:7-8

   So, passages like in Matthew 7 which tell us to ask, seek and knock are not my favorite passages.  That is because the asking, seeking and knocking are words that are used to describe consistent, active, persistent action.  It is not just a polite knock and then sit back and wait.  The other day I was reminded of this when we had a child and family team meeting scheduled at the school.  One of my co-workers went over to the mom's house to wake the lady up because we couldn't meet without her.  She pounded on her door and then honked the horn a few times in the car.  She was persistent and probably a little annoying, but the lady got up and came to the meeting.  That is the kind of prayer that Jesus talked about over and over again.  It is also the kind that I often fall short of and try and do things myself.

   So why, if God is a good God does he tell us to pray like this?  It isn't because God needs to be convinced to do something nice for us.  God tells us that he loves a cheerful giver and that he is also a generous God.  So, why can't I just pray once or twice and be done with it?  I think what it comes down to is that God wants to sometimes deal with the one who is praying and not just the prayer.  Waiting for an answer, gives me a chance to examine my heart about what I really want and need.  Also, to examine what I am asking for and if it is truly what God wants for me.  And, if we are going to be completely honest, I don't have the faintest idea why he waits sometimes.  There is an element of mystery to prayer.

"You are forgiving and good, O Lord. abounding in love to all who call to you. Hear my prayer, O Lord; listen to my cry for mercy. In the day of my trouble I will call to you, for you will answer me."  Psalm 86:5-7

  Sometimes we are like Job who faced with the loss of all the things he had is wondering in his heart where God is.  Even Jesus had that moment on the cross where he called out to God and said that he had forsaken him.  But, unlike our situation, God truly did forsake Jesus on the cross where he does not forsake us.  So, ultimately, Jesus knows more about being forsaken than I ever will.  Because he became sin for us that we might be the righteousness of God.

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2