Favorite Verses

   It doesn't' seem like it was that long ago, but 10 months ago I shared a few favorite verses of mine.  I want to share a few more that have been meaningful to me.  I hope if you haven't read them in a while they will  bless you.

"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added to you." Matthew 6:33

This verse comes in part of what is called the "Sermon on the Mount" and is a part of the section regarding worry and anxiety.  Jesus was telling his disciples where their focus should be.  Instead of being worried about food or clothes or being filled with worry.  Their priority was to be concerned about  God's kingdom instead of their own.  The bigger picture here is that worrying doesn't help solve any problems.  Rather, it devalues the time we do have and wastes a lot of energy.

"Therefore, if any man is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things have passed away; behold, new things have come."  2 Corinthians 5:17

This verse was one I used when I was a youth/education minister right out of seminary for my youth group.  It was to remind us all that God is in the process of creating something new in us.  So often, we think of life as more like snapshots.  We think about who we are instead of thinking about the fact that God is at work in us to change us.  Consider Moses, who lost his temper and killed a man when he was younger.  Only to be molded by God through many years of hard work as a shepherd and then called to shepherd his flock.  God sees the potential and newness in us even when we are focused on the old.

"if we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forigve us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9

This verses is important to me for several reasons.  One thing is, that the word "all" is used here.  God doesn't just wash some of our sins away.  He washes them "all" away.  He does this it says because of His own faithfulness.  He does this also by his power and not mine.  The action is God's when I am faithful to confess or agree with God that sin is sin.

"Let not your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me.  In My Father's House are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place fo ryou. And if I go to prepare a place fo ryou, I will come again, and receive you to Myself, that were I am, there you may be also." John 14:1-3

These verses capture a lot of the hope of being a christian in the first place.  That one day we will abide with Jesus in a heavenly place that He has made himself.  It will be a place where there is no more sin, sickness, or pain.  It will be a place of perfect fellowship and peace.  It will be a place personally made by Jesus for you.

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2