What makes a church a good church home?  What are your expectations when you walk in the door on Sunday morning?  How is a church suppose to help you grow in your walk with God?  These are some of the questions I have been asking myself as I think about attending church on Sunday. 

 I have been in a lot of churches these last few years in my attempts to deal with my issues with the church.  I've visited several different denominations and even walked out of some church services.  Yes, you heard right, I got up and left a few times.  I went to a new church last Sunday and will probably go back again next Sunday even though it wasn't a great experience.  So, I am asking myself what I need in a church home and what is truly important.

 Things that I think are important
1. Sound Biblical truth being taught and preached.  I really am not interested in preachers like Joel Osteen who basically preach pop psychology and not doctrine.  I'm also not interested in just hearing doctrine without some practical application.  What I do want is a pastor who will challenge me to think about my faith and even have some good insights once in a while.  Granted, I'm probably not in the same place as the average church goer since I've read through the Bible numerous times, but at least once in a while help me to think of something differently and grow.  There needs to be opportunities throughout the year to grow deeper and study harder.

2. Friendliness- I don't want to have to stand up and introduce myself, but I do want for people to act as though they are happy to see me.  Who wants to be around a bunch of stuck up jerks.  The church is suppose to be a family.  A family sticks together.  I was thinking about when I was in Hull, Texas.  I had both of my kids at home, my wife was working late and my son was running a fever.  One of the church members ran out and got some medicine for him and brought it to me in the middle of the night.  Which probably involved a drive to nearby Liberty since everything else was closed by then.  She was one of those people who would do anything for you.  There really are people out there like that.  Too often these people are overshadowed by the bigots and judgmental folks the church seems to breed. 

3. Outreach into the community.  I don't want to be a part of the local church on the corner where everyone shows up Sunday and doesn't do anything for their community.  I think churches should have clothes closets and food pantries and help people in need.  There needs to be a sense that this is my mission field, this community knows who we are and knows we are alive and kicking.  Too many church resemble a funeral home instead of a spiritual hospital (which is what in many ways it is).  Too many churches are known for what they are against, rather than for their compassion, love and kindness. 

4. Worship that honors God.  I honestly don't like the rock music that is in many churches.  But, doing the traditional hymns all the times is boring too.  Worship that is honoring God is uplifting, inspiring and encouragement to the soul.  I need that more than ever.  I need someone to remind me that God loves me and is on my side.  I need someone to tell me that Jesus overcame my sins and faults.  I need an encouraging word that helps me to remember that God cares about what I am going through.

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2