Knowing God's Will

    Lately, I have been thinking about how to know the difference between God's will and my own.  Specifically, I have been wondering to myself if when I feel a sense of discontentment if this is from the Lord or if this is my own will.  Or does God sometimes use feelings of discontent to get us to move in another diretion?  I have heard that he does and I have also heard that this is the flesh fighting against the Spirit.

    I really don't want to just go rush out and do something because of a feeling of discontent and then walk outside of the will of God.  Sometimes, even more someone like me who has seminary degrees and has been ordained it is hard to hear from God.  The frustrating thing is that sometimes when I feel I most need to hear from him he grows even more silent than usual.

    There are some issues that I know I need to deal with and I think that is probably the best place to start when thinking about God's will.  I know that the commandments of God are firm and that they are the same for everyone.  I know that God desires for me to love other people and Him.  I know that He wants me to grow in Christlikeness.  I know that he wants me to grow in the fruit of the Spirit mentioned in Galatians.  This seems like a big enough task by itself to keep me busy for the rest of my life.  The truth is, that I am nowhere near where I need to be.  I may appear spiritually mature, but I do wonder a lot of times about that.  If that is even a possibility this side of heaven.  It seems the more I look the less I see of people who are truly spiritually mature and more selfishness and egoism, even in the church.

    So, these are things I know I need to work on.  What is less clear is specific things that God wants me to do.  For example, which church to join.  It seems that the churches I have been at lately are either rock band style worship services or organ music senior citizen groups.  I don't like Southern Gospel, it sounds folksy and boring and trite.  I don't like rock band music because it is too loud and I just don't get the need for spotlights in church.  The Summit church where I went to last month had at least 25-30 spotlights around the worship center.  So, I am having trouble finding a place to fit in and wondering where God is leading me and not hearing any clear direction. 

    Some verses I have found helpful in the past are Psalm 37:4-6; Psalm 145:19; Romans 8:28

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2