Taking root

  Last weekend and the one before I worked on expanding a flower bed in our yard.  In order to do that, I had to pull up some of the grass near the house and move it to the other side of the yard.  It might sound easy, but unless you have a machine that does it for you then it isn't that easy.  I would get it started and slowly roll the grass up and cut the roots holding the grass down until it was rolled up and I could move it. 
  After that, I took the grass across the yard to some spots where there was no grass and planted them and watered.  This involves softening the ground where your going to put the grass and then making sure it has enough water.  You soften the ground so that the roots can with time burrow into the ground it was moved to. 
  It got me to thinking about the difference between having roots and being rooted.  At first, the grass was rooted.  It was tough to pull up because it was rooted into the ground.  It had been there for years and liked where it was.  Having roots simply means you have the capacity to be rooted.  When it was moved, it would be easy to pick it up again and move it to a new location because it wasn't rooted yet.
   As a believer, I have the capacity to be rooted in place.  This comes slowly, just like with the roots of the grass, as I root myself into God's word and prayer and practicing spiritual disciplines.  It may not look fun or exciting or thrilling, but it helps keep me rooted when trouble comes.  The other grass looks okay too on the surface, but it has been pulled up and is easily moved.  It hasn't had time yet to be rooted.  It hasn't done the work required.
   The spiritual disciplines may not seem glamourous or important until trouble comes.  Being rooted in God's word will keep us out of trouble and keep our faith strong.  I remember as a freshman in college, there was a lot of temptations to join the crowd and do things I shouldn't do.  In the small town of Huntsville there was at least five college bars kids went to every Thursday.  Instead, I joined Campus Crusade for Christ which also met on Thursday and got involved in a good group of young people.  I kept going to church.  I kept my eyes on Jesus.  It kept me from making a lot of serious mistakes.  It can keep your feet firmly planned on a good foundation also.

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2