memories of Campus Crusade for Christ

   A few weeks after starting college in the fall of 1985, I was feeling alone and depressed and wandered one night up to the student center.  It was a Thursday night and Thursdays on SHSU is considered the "party night" because many students go home to the Houston area on the weekends.  I've heard that it is called the "suitcase college" because so many people go home on the weekends.  So, I'm sitting there feeling sorry for myself on the top floor of the student center and I watch two ladies walk by with Bible.  Turns out it was Heather and Kim, who were worship leaders for Campus Crusade for Christ.  At the end of the hall, ready to greet them is Scott McMahon and John Cole and some others that would become friends for many years after that.  But, I didn't know that at the time.

   So, I followed the two ladies to the end of the hall and saw some believers greet these ladies in a warm way.  I still didn't know what group it was.  At that point, I was ready to join AA if it would give me some christian friends.  Keep in mind, I've never been a drinker.  But, ready to join anything I walked up and someone asked if I was there for Campus Crusade for Christ.  I had no idea what type of group that was, but I agreed and joined in and from that point enjoyed 4.5 years of involvement in the group.

   Funny, how one decision to wander around campus that night changed my life and led to my making a bunch of great friends.  We had a lot of good times including times when we would go to conferences in Dallas or other places.  One of my favorite memories is going to Dallas and hearing a man preach a sermon about when Jesus cleansed the temple.  It inspired me not only in how he told the story, but the importance that Jesus placed on his Father's temple and the desire he had to have fellowship with us.  He was filled with rage that others would hinder people from coming to him.  It takes rage, to turn up tables, to make a wipe of cords and break down animal pens.  We can try to sanitize it, but make no mistake about it- - Jesus was mad.

    I think Jesus still gets mad when people are hindered by rules and regulations from coming to him.  It reminds me of a church in Texas that I worked near.  A young man came to the church one night and was turned away because he had long hair and piercings.  I know that because our youth minister befriended him and he came to our church.  Our church didn't do much better in greeting him, but I know they didn't shun him.  I think that type of legalistic, stupid thinking makes God just as upset that we would judge people by outer standards.

   

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

The wise men Matthew 2

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes