All Truth is God's Truth

    In my work as a therapist, I am now working with kids who are at risk for out of home placement.  The service we provide requires multiple visits at either home or school every week.  We typically have at least 3 people who work with kids each week.  Almost all of my clients have problems with anger and aggression.  One of the things we use for that is called cognitive behavioral therapy.  I mention it here because I think it really shows us how all truth is really God's truth.  I believe the truths of the Bible are completely consistent with the principles of CBT.   One of the most important is that our thoughts, feelings and behaviors are all interacting and build up each other.

    Typically, most kids I talk to are completely out of touch with their thoughts when they are getting angry.  It is much more likely that they realize that they are getting upset, clenching jaw or fist or turning red or their heart rate increasing.  Unfortunately, a lot of the negative thoughts are much harder for them to identify.  When I tell a kid that every emotion has a thought connected to it they look at me like i am speaking french or something.  But, that is true.  You don't get mad without some angry thoughts behind them.  CBT tells us that when we challenge and then consciously chose to change our thoughts we can change the behavior.




    One of the most important aspects of CBT is what we call "core beliefs".  We refer to this as the "lens" by which we view the world.  Many times, people have "core beliefs" about themselves that are very negative.  It is not uncommon for people to think that they are "stupid", "worthless", "hopeless" or "doesn't deserve anything good".   Like looking through a stain glass window, negative core beliefs like this color everything the person does.  The fact is, that if you continually tell yourself that your not worthy, stupid or will never accomplish something you will end up finding a way to rob yourself of joy and ultimately you will find a way to prove yourself right.  If you think you can't, then you probably never will.

    For the believer, I believe it is important that our core beliefs, those lens be replaced by God's truth.  I think this is why we have to radically challenge those negative thoughts of "nobody loves me", "I'm not good enough",  "I'm stupid" or "nobody will like me" or "I can't do it" with the grace and truth found in Christ.  We have to renew our minds and replace this hopelessness with a more positive message of "With Christ I can."  and "God loves me and that is what is important".  Once self-esteem is based not only just what others may think of you or outward appearances, but on God's truths then a radical transformation can take place.

Some links to CBT sites
http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Cognitive-behavioral_therapy.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_behavioral_therapy

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

The wise men Matthew 2

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes