One day all barriers will be gone

“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. 2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.”

    These verses should be read keeping in mind what has happened in chapter 13.  In chapter 13, we see the disciples around Jesus at the last supper.  They have joined him for the Passover meal and Peter has asserted himself that he would not deny Jesus.  To be fair to Peter, all the other disciples also proclaimed the same devotion.  But, Jesus tells Peter that not only will he deny him that it would happen before the rooster crows three times.  In light of this discouraging news, Jesus adds the words we read in verse 1 of chapter 14  "Do not let your hearts be troubled. . . ."
     It must have seemed hopeless for the disciples in those days after Jesus was crucified.  They were hiding for their lives and afraid to meet in public.  Jesus doesn't want their hearts to dwell on fear, but gives them a word that there will one day be a place where they will again all dwell together and he goes to prepare a place for them.
      Jesus further reminds them to place their confidence in Him as they have the Father.  That is what that word "believe" in verse 2 means.  It is to place confidence in Him as the one mediator between God and man.  A mediator role that Jesus earned by dying for us on the cross and becoming both the priest of our confession and the sacrifice that paid our sin debt.  
      That is why it can now say in Romans 8:1 that there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ.  It isn't because of how great we have been.  Some of us think that we must live up to some type of standard and it is true that we should strive to obey God's word, but I don't do this in fear.  I do this in love knowing that when I fall that I can get back up.  When I fail I know my Father's hand is there to help me back up.  When I make mistakes God expects me to learn from them and grow, but never tires of forgiving me.  He actually looks forward to it when we ask for forgiveness and embrace the fact that we can come back to Him.
      Jesus also wanted to encourage us, that even though as Paul says in 1 Corinthians 13, we see through a mirror dimly, one day we will see Him face to face.  Our dwelling place (mone) which literally means a place of abiding, will be with Him.  This is what heaven is all about, it is about a perfect relationship with God where there will no longer be any barriers or times when it may be difficult to believe.  He will be there to wipe away every tear himself.  He will be there in all his glory to see.  There will be no more separation, pain, sin or unbelief in His presence.  It is something that we should keep in mind and look forward to.

And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’[b] or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”  Revelations 21:3-4, NIV

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2