Reflecting

Recently, I started this book that my wife gave me called "What am I supposed to do with my life?" by Douglas J. Brouwer.  It is more like a Bible study than a novel.  It has questions at the end of each chapter.  This has been a big question for me throughout my life as I have struggled at times to find my place.  The big question seems to be "What does God want me to do?"  I will add that at the present time I am content to serve God outside the church as a mental health case manager.  It is a challenging job, but also at times rewarding.

I don't have all the answers, but I think a turning point for me came when I went to a camp called "UM ARMY".  Particularly in 1984 when we went to college station.  I remember the mayor coming and proclaming it UMARMY day and giving up a key to the city for the day.  UMARMY is a Methodist camp that emphasizes helping those who are needy and handicap.  We would go out each summer for a week and paint, cut grass, clean, build things.  It was a lot of fun, but also a lot of hard work.  It was Texas in the summer time and believe me it was hot.  But, it really reinforced for me the blessing that it is to give.  My faith encourages me to give.  It encourages me to live out my faith in a way that I can be a light and a encouragement to others.

This all came up also as I have reflecting the last several days on James 1.  James says in James 1:22-23 "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves.  Do what it says.  Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like."  James keeps going back to this theme throughout this little epistle of James.  He challenges us to show your faith by your deeds.  I think people are still looking today for us to do that.  They have heard sermons in words, now they are looking for sermons in action.

"Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.  You believe that there is one God.  Good! Even the demons believe that- and shudder." James 2:18  "As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." James 2:26

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2