Isaiah 6

  I'm started reading again through Isaiah.  One thing I have been struck by in reading this book of prophecy is how many times it foretells the coming of Jesus.  In Isaiah 4 Jesus is the Branch.  The other thing, as it is in Isaiah 6, is what a strong relationship Isaiah had with God.  Yet, when Isaiah sees God in this chapter, the first thing he realizes is his own sinfulness.  It made we think what questions would be on my mind or what I would be thinking if I were to have an encounter with God like this?  I think, would I be afraid?  Would I feel loved?  Would I want to run and hide like Moses did?  Would I go completely out of my mind?  What would you even be able to say?

 I think Isaiah response was a pretty good one considering everything.  Because it seems that this is the message that God wanted to get across- "I am holy."  Isaiah also got the second message which is that he is not holy.  For as good as we may think we are, when we look into the light of God's purity, it is like filthy rags.  But, if you notice that since Isaiah confessed that he was unworthy of the vision, the angel ministered to Isaiah and he was cleansed.  It was an act of grace to Isaiah and also an agreement.  In a sense, God said "Yes, your right, your corrupt, but now your clean." 

  It seems interesting that the vision would include a vision of a fire hot coal taken from the altar.  It doesn't say, but I am supposing that this is the bronze altar in the temple where the sacrifice would be made and where sins would be atoned for.  It is interesting that it is Isaiah's mouth that must be touched with the coal.  Of course, if you did that for real it would burn your tongue or mouth.  Perhaps the fire or coal denotes the atoning work of sacrifice.  Perhaps that is why Isaiah was in the temple that day.

 I also noticed the seraphim that were mentioned as having eyes all around.  Perhaps denoting how God sees us wherever we are.  I don't know why the cheribum seem to have a different number of wings than the seraphs.  I am supposing they are different creatures.  It reminds me of a book I read one time.  I think it was called "A Wrinkle In Time".  I read it as a kid and it seemed to have creatures like this.  It seems the main job for them according to this passage is to praise God.  Again, it is God's exaltedness and his holiness which seems most important.

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

The wise men Matthew 2

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes