What is a deposit?

  In some churches these days you hear a lot about the "baptism of the Spirit" or the "filling of the Spirit".  Some people view these as different events, but I never did.  One role that you hardly ever hear talked about when it comes to the Spirit however is that He is our deposit.  Notice what it says in Ephesians 1:13-14 "Having believed,you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit, guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession-to the praise of his glory." 

  So, what is a deposit or a guarantee?  If I make a earnest money deposit on a house, I am saying to the seller, I intend to buy this house.  I am serious about this one.  If you sealed something, like Pilate did with Jesus tomb on Friday, you are claiming rights over.  The seal bears the mark or insignia of the one who owns the seal.  So, that is what Paul is saying here, we are being claimed as belonging to God.  Our adoption has been declared.

 If I am then "in Christ" and I have been sealed by the Holy Spirit, then my spiritual heritage is secure and not totally dependent on how I feel or what stupid things I may say or do.  Furthermore, now I also have an advocate, who is also the Holy Spirit before the Father.  He helps me to pray when I don't know what to say.  He teaches me when I am slow to learn.  He reminds me of what Jesus said and did.  He ministers to my spirit and understands me when nobody else does, which seems to be often. 

 "Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen?  It is god who justifies. Who is he who condemns? Christ Jesus, who died-more than that, who was raised to life- is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us." Nothing, no nothing can separate us from the love of God. Romans 8:33-34

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2