Does God speak to you?

"My soul, wait in silence for God only, For my hope is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation, My stronghold, I shall not be shaken. On God my salvation and my glory rest; The rock of my strength, my refuge is in God."  Psalm 62:5-7

    Most christians have times in their lives when it doesn't appear that God is saying much or they struggle to understand God's will for they're lives.  I've had several long periods where God seemed distant and others times when he seemed as close as a person could be.  What do you do when it seems God is hiding and is unwilling to be found?  Even when you feel the need for a direct word from God so you can make a choice or decision.

   I find that when I really want to hear a word from God it often seems it is at that specific point that God seems harder to find.  It really causes me to seek after him.  Like trying to find a treasure a mile under water.  At the very moment I want God to shout, He whispers.  It's frustrating.  It's also tempting at times like that to just do whatever I want and not to wait.

   There is a story in the Bible that I love about King David.  He goes into battle against his enemy and is victorious.  It really isn't close.  Then he goes into battle again against the same enemy.  It would be easy to assume and just do the same thing the second time, but David stops and asks God what he should do.  God tells him to set an ambush and when the enemy is drawn out to move.  Specifically, God says when he hears the sound of a great army in the treetops overhead then it is time to move.  (see 2 Samuel 5:23-25)  It is almost as if he can hear the sound of the army of God going out before him to fight.  The point is, that David didn't assume.  Other times, he does assume and the results are dramatically different.

  An example would be when an enemy of the people of God come and make a treaty with Joshua and his  people.  They dress up as if they have come a long ways.  God specifically told Joshua not to make a treaty with any of the nearby neighbors,but to destroy them completely.  Instead, Joshua hears these mens stories and sees that it appears they came on a long journey and doesn't consult with God.  In Joshua 9:14 it says, "So the men of Israel took some of their provisions, and did not ask for the counsel of the Lord."  As a result, they can never overcome this enemy and it becomes a burden to the people for centuries to come afterward.

  Truth be told, I like to do things my own way most of the time.  And silence from God can sometimes seem like a written invite to do whatever I want.  But, I think rather God is trying to tell us to slow down, to focus on him and not ourselves and to take the time to seek Him.  The hard part is sometimes being silent and waiting on God and being still.

How does God speak to you?  Does he speak to you? 

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2